Tuesday, December 3, 2013

Hermana Oliphant has arrived in Mexico.  Here she is walking the roads of San Cristobal, her first area.  She is 1 1/2 hours south of Tuxtla.

SO! the airplane... it was fun! we had 3 different planes we flew in. When we landed in Tuxtla our mission president and his wife picked us up and took us to the mission home where we had dinner. Luckily President Cardena and his wife speak a little English! but we only speak in Spanish which is hard!












That night we were dropped off at different missionaries houses to sleep and the next morning we had a small devotional type thing and then met our new companions and found out where we would be serving. We took a bus here from Tuxtla and then took a Taxi to our house. MY FIRST TAXI RIDE!!! It was fun haha Like I´ve said, I am in San Cristobal and it is so cold here! Not at all what I expected! haha But At least I brought sweaters and my companion lets me use her heavy coat on really cold days (she has a couple). 
My companion, Hermana Pèrez, is from Puebla and is so nice! She is 22 and has been on her mission for 7.5 months. She´s basically a pro. Although she doesn´t speak English, we get along pretty well. We make do with my little dictionary. Luckily I brought it. It's seriously been a life saver!

Walking around town is so much fun, there is so much to see and so much to do (if I wasn´t a missionary that is). I would like to come back here with Mom and Dad and show you all around (especially when I know Spanish! haha).
I am glad you got online and looked up San Cristobal. It's so pretty. Mexico is very colorful (meaning the houses) and it's fun to see all the different things, and  you know me, I love people watching. It makes contacting people fun!

Hna Pèrez makes fun of me because I am scared of the perros here (dogs). I said that the perros think I am food and now she makes fun of me for  it. But it's just a joke.... not. I really am scared of the dogs!




We are teaching a whole bunch of people. And all of them are so nice. I just love how nice everyone is here, (or maybe I just think they are being nice because I don´t know what they are saying?) Either way, everyone seems really nice. San Cristobal is a big city but then it also includes the mountain. So yes, I climb mountains to teach people. It's so pretty! And seeing the conditions here really has made me appreciate everything I have. I have so much and I have been blessed with so much:  my family, my friends, my house, running water you can drink, flushing toilets that you can put TP in (yep, there's a trash ,.. usually... that you have to put all TP into.. it makes the Baño´s stinky....) the list goes on and on. I just really appreciate everything I have been blessed with, including the gospel!

Hmm.... We went on a long walk this morning which was fun. We went exploring and climbed up these stairs of a church (I´m not sure which religion) but the stairs are so tall! I took a picture but you cant really tell how far up we are. Oh well.
SO.. Oliphant is hard for everyone to say. olpant opant alfan ... there's so many different ways people say it. So we´ve shortened my name. haha I now introduce my self as Soy Hna Oli hahaha soy de Estados Unidos. hahahah phew. It's tricky. but I love this work.  I thought I relied on the Lord before, but I was wrong. He is litterally sometimes the only one who understands me. He literally is my best friend here. Not even my companion knows exactly how I feel because of the language barrier but we make do. I just turn to the Lord for everything. Church was hard because everyone wanted to talk to me but I didn´t know how to respond because I didn´t know what they were saying. At least in our lessons we explain that I don´t know Spanish well and then the investigators and less actives help me understand and talk slower.
I will get it I have faith!
 
I love you all! 
I love this gospel and I love my Savior and my friend, Jesucristo. 
Thank you for all of your prayers!
Pass my love onto my friends at Chick-Fil-A and Facebook! 
I pray for you all every day multiple times. 
Love
Hermana Oli

1 comment:

  1. I love hearing about your mission. You are so tall. I didn't realize that before. Thanks for sharing your testimony with us.

    Love, Sister Crosby

    ReplyDelete