Monday, April 13, 2015


As I have been trying to figure out what to say, so many wonderful memories have sprung into my mind. This last week has been a really emotional week, no I have not spent it crying, but I have felt so many emotions. Looking back, or thinking back 2 years ago, I was studying at BYU Idaho. I was 19 years old and honestly had no idea what I wanted to do with my life. or where I wanted to go or even who I wanted to be. The things I did to stay busy weren't all that important--watching movies, playing games on my i-phone, or going out on dates or out with friends just for the fun of it. I can see now that I did not have a relationship with my Father in Heaven. I never said personal prayers and only read the Book of Mormon pages that were assigned in my institute class and only took the class because it was required at school. Finishing the semester, I came home and could not push the idea of a mission out of my head . It didn't help that my friends were all starting to fill out their papers, receive their calls and heading out on their missions. But the thing that really changed me was when my best friend, Hannah, received her call to Chile. I watched her change and I knew that that was something I wanted to do. I told my parents on Mothers' Day of 2013 and a short month later received my call to serve in Tuxtla Gutierrez, Mexico. Then came the emotions. Excitement. Fear. Unworthiness. Desire, happíness and sadness. I was so excited to go on this adventure, live in a new place, with new people. But that is how I thought of it, an adventure. An opportunity to see a new part of the world and be in a different culture. You can definitely say that I came on the mission for so many WRONG reasons.
I made it through the MTC and before I knew it I was on a plane headed south. We landed in the Mexico City airport and the panic hit. I could not understand anything, we got lost. I was so glad that I wasn't alone and that the other missionaries had paid attention in class and they got us to our next flight. Walking off the plane in Tuxtla, I felt like I was suffocating because it was so hot and humid. Then the next day as I arrived in my first area, San Cristobal, I was so thankful I brought  a few sweaters as it is known for being extremely cold in San Cristobal in December. My first companion and trainer was Sister Perez and she really was like my mother. She helped me learn how to live in Mexico. She taught me how to use the money here and how to teach the basics of the gospel lessons. The days quickly turned into weeks and the weeks into months. I left the chilliness of San Cristobal after saying goodbye to Rosa Maria (little did I know that she would pass away just a few short weeks later). I arrived in my second area, Jardines in Tuxtla and was so stressed out.
My companion, Hermana Rodriguez and I were both new in the area and had to find a house to live in, then paint the house and look for people to teach. My 3 months there flew by and soon I was back on the tour bus headed to Tapachula. Man, it is HOT in Tapachula! But everything is green and beautiful. We had a wonderful ward mission  leader who always helped us out. Sister Garcia and my ward threw me a surprise 21st birthday party. I finally was able to communicate with the people. I learned to just start speaking and the right words will come out and If they don't, the Spirit will help them understand. I had a scorpion crawl down my leg while sleeping, spent the night in the hospital, traveled 1 hour and a half each Sunday to hold a sacrament meeting in the house of some members who could not travel to the church. We made memories but soon my time was up and I headed back to the cold this time in Comitan. I fell in love with this area.
The members are all so wonderful, I loved the town because it wasn't huge but at least had a Walmart! But more than all that, I was able to change who I was while I was there. I started with Hermana Guerrero but we went on an activity with President George to the ruins of Tonina and after climbing up and down those temples, my knee gave out and I was confined to the house for 4 weeks. We had special transfers and I finished the transfer with Hermana Trad. We spent those weeks studying, reading, talking and when we felt like being rebels, we went out and found people to teach. In those weeks with her, we found Frank. Frank was a miracle. Watching him change and grow in the gospel is something I will never forget. He and Rubi were baptised my last Saturday in Comitan when I was with sweet Hermana Benally. The next part of my spiritual journey took place in Zanatepec Oaxaca. It was one of my goals I had to serve in a branch and I loved every minute of it. We worked hard, even when it was SO HOT. I will never forget those sweet members in Zanatepec. I feel like all of them are part of my family. Martin Ventura was baptised my first Saturday there and I loved watching him progress with his family. He has such a strong testimony of the gospel that even when he was faced with a pretty large trial, he stayed strong. They have their goal set  to enter the temple to become and eternal family. Esteban Lopez and his wife Gloria adopted Hermana Humphrey and I as their grandchildren. We always left their house full of the spirit joy and with full tummies. I will never forget the friendships I made while in Zanate. Cecilia Peto will always be an example to me. She was baptized in January even though her parents weren't supportive and took her Grandma's name to the temple on March 14th to be baptized for her. She also received her patriarchal blessing that same day and now is planning for and preparing for her own full time mission. She is truly a soul sister to me and even when I will be far away, I know we will always support each other. 
I finished my 18 month journey in Tuxtla next to the temple. Being with Hermana Agustín has been such a huge blessing for me in my life. She is so sweet and I know that she will do wonderful things in her life. She has helped me be more calm about finishing my mission and we have really given our all even in such a hard area for teaching. I have had the opportunity to meet so many wonderful people here that I will never forget, Hermano Candido Lopez, the Rosales Martinez family, Hermano Mario and Xiomara Reyes Solis to start. There are so many friendships that I cherish from the mission. I don't have words to express how grateful I am for every day I have lived, every time I have cried, laughed and felt the Spirit. I have grown. I have learned to be more like Christ, and I have changed. I have learned how to take care of a house, how to be a good wife and mother. I have learned the importance of being obedient. I have become who I have always wanted to be. 
We teach about baptism every day, how it is like starting a new life, and leaving the old one behind. Well I am living that now. The mission is like a baptism.  I was able to leave behind my old life , the old me, and become someone new. 
I came on the mission insecure, shy, disobedient... But I am going home knowing who I truly am. I know that I am a child of God. He has sent me here, to the earth, to learn. to progress. to repent. to learn how to be better and then to be better so I can return to  live with Him. I LOVE my Savior. I love what He has done for ME so that I can be forgiven and so I can have this life. 
I know the gospel is true. I know the Book of Mormon has power. I will never stop reading it. And Yes, I am now looking forward to my institute classes. I am looking forward to each Sunday I will have to go to church and learn and take the sacrament. I am looking forward to finding my other half and being sealed for time and all eternity. I can not wait to have my own eternal family. I KNOW God LOVES ME! 
Thank you for all you have done for me, to support me these 18 months I have been here. It's a bittersweet moment knowing that in 4 days they will be releasing me from being a full time missionary. But I also know that I will never stop sharing what I know to be true. Because it is true. All of it. En el nombre de Jesucristo, Amen.
Hermana Oliphant 
Misión Tuxtla Gutierrez,
16 Octubre 2013- 16 Abril 2015

No comments:

Post a Comment