Sunday, September 28, 2014

I have a new companion, Hermana Benally. She is 20 years old and is from.... UTAH!! She is Native American and has been on the mission 10 months! 
I just LOVE her! We have been adjusting to life as two Americans here in Comitan... luckily she speaks with a Spanish accent so the people understand her! She struggles a little with understanding when others are talking, but I understand so it makes it kinda like a game. I understand and then explain to her and she talks. We had a KILLER week. I was a little under the weather ( I had the flu for 3 days) but despite that we ROCKED it in our lessons and contacting! We set goals for the week and reached almost all of them! 
Thursday we were  walking to an appointment and contacted a young man. We taught him how to pray right there in the street and he said the most heart felt prayer I had heard!!!!!  Even though we were in the middle of the street and could hear children yelling and playing, the spirit was so strong! We knew that he needed to feel God's love for him. We invited him to church and he accepted!!!
Last night we went with the Relief Society to the hospital to give service. I have never seen a situation like that before. There were so many people sitting outside of the hospital just waiting for their chance to get in or just waiting for their loved ones to be released from the hospital.   Hermana Benally and I went on a split with two different sisters from the ward to contact people, and the sisters had made sandwiches and hot chocolate and they had 15 blankets to give away with the name of the church on them. It was a really humbling experience to see how grateful the people were to receive a cup of hot chocolate or even just to have someone to talk to. We were hoping to get references to be able to go and teach them, but I think our examples was what counted most for those people. We did give away about 20 folletos of the plan of salvation and the restoration! Maybe someone will show up at church?!
Yesterday we had 4 investigators in sacrament meeting.  I was playing the opening song when one sister walked in. I was sooo excited to see her that I totally lost where I was in the song and messed up! Ha but who cares, SHE CAME! We had been teaching her but we stopped going over because she stopped reading the Book of Mormon and kept making excuses as for why she couldn't go to church. Well she went last week alone and then yesterday alone... so we are going to start teaching her again and see what happens. 
I am so happy to be on a mission. 
I am so happy you are my family. 
I love you all. 
I pray for you all.
I always will! 
Love
Hermana Oliphant 

We  helped a family in the ward clean their fruit stand! :)



No comments:

Post a Comment